St. Jan Hospital
A leading academic hospital in Belgium, St Jan's hospital, Bruges has 1000 beds 200 physicians and surgeons, and over 2100 staff. This modern high tech facility boasts a formidable list of facilities.
Facilities include: 15 operating theatres equipped with the newest technology, A cardiac care and bypass centre, State-of-the-art laboratory, 40 bed intensive care unit equipped with shock lung ventilators, A 6 man decompression chamber, A helicopter, The only dual arm "da Vinci" robotically assisted laparoscopic, microsurgical unit, Bariatric weight loss surgery clinic, A bank, Shops, Florist, Hairdresser, Café, A modern restaurant.
The emergency department, paramedics and the 40-bed intensive care facility are staffed 24 hours a day with on site resident cover. A physician will respond to an urgent bed call within 2 min day or night.The hospital d carries out the latest surgical procedures with confidence.
Dr. Bruno Dillemans
Other departments include: Anaesthesiology, General Surgery, Cardiac Surgery, Vascular Surgery, Ear, Nose and Throat Surgery, Oncology, Gynaecology & and Obstetrics, IVF Clinic, Ophthalmology, Oral and facial surgery, Orthopaedics, Urology, Dermatology, Internal medicine, Primary care, Cardiology, Gastroenterology, Geriatrics, Pulmonology, Rheumatology, Pathology, Paediatrics, Psychiatry, Radiology Equipped With High Speed CT, MRI & X-Ray.
General, Oncological, Bariatric, Gastrointestinal & Laparoscopic Surgeon.
Renowned expert in Obesity Surgery and Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery Dr Bruno Dillemans is Secretary General of the Belgium Society of Obesity Surgeons and Board Member of the Belgian Society of Upper Gastro-Intestinal Surgeons. Dr Bruno Dillemans has performed over 6,000 successful Bariatric procedures.
Dr Dillemans has performed a number of live television surgical procedures, including Advanced Laparoscopic gastric bypass, for Bariatric Surgeons worldwide both in Europe and the Gulf States.
Click to download Dr. Dilleman's complete CV...
- Since 1994: Staff member of the Department of General Surgery, AZ Sint-Jan Brugge -Oostende AV (1.200 beds).
- Dr. Dillemans performs 1.300 Upper GI surgeries a year, 900 of them are pure Bariatric proce-dures: Lap Band’s, Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomies, Laparoscopic Gastric Bypasses and Laparoscopic redo-procedures and conversions.
- He has several certifications of Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery with active participation at dif-ferent teaching programs and postgraduate courses ( SOSB, BGES, IRCAD) for residents and gen-eral surgeons. He is renowned as ‘Expert in Digestive Surgery‘ for IRCAD (Strasbourg). He has given numerous oral and video presentations at International Congresses (EAES, IRCAD, EUROSURGERY, OESO,IFSO) with topics around Bariatric surgical procedures, Laparoscopic treatment of Reflux Oesophagitis, Laparoscopic Splenectomy etc..
- Dr. Dillemans performed the first Laparoscopic Gastric Bypasses in the United Arab Emirates (University Hospital, Al Ain) June 2005 and in the Sultanate of Oman (Royal Hospital, Muscat) January 2006. He was course director of the international meeting ‘Master Class in Gastric By-pass’ in AZ Sint-Jan Brugge - Oostende AV in Bruges, June 2006. He was invited as ex-pert/surgeon at the following congresses: First Laparo-Endoscopic Congress for the Middle East in Dubai, 2006 , 2nd General Surgery Congress, Bursa, Turkey 2007, The International Obesity Surgery Expert Meeting, Saalfelden, Austria (2007,2008,2009), The International Thematic Days of CHL, Luxembourg (2007,2009), 1st Colchester Metabolic Surgery Symposium, UK, 2008, European and World congress of IFSO (International Federation of Surgery for Obesity), Porto 2008 and Paris 2009.
Covidien Healthcare (ex-Tyco) and Johnson & Johnson Healthcare recognized him as an expert in Advanced Bariatric Surgery with teaching services and performing live procedures for Bariat-ric Surgeons from Europe and the Middle East. His credits on the standardization of the Lap Gastric Bypass procedure has recently been validated by a publication in Obesity Surgery
(Click here for more information).
- 1979 - 1986: Catholic University of Leuven, Graduated 'Magna cum Laude'.
Specialist in General Surgery:
- 1986 – 1990: Heilig Hart Hospital, Roeselare
- 1990 – 1992: University Hospitals, Leuven
- Super Specialisation in Abdominal and Laparoscopic Surgery
- 1992 - 1994: Academic Hospital Groningen, The Netherlands
Other Medical Activities:
- President of the Medical Council of AZ St-Jan Brugge - Oostende AV (1999-2002) and (2002 -2005).
- Vice- President of the Medical Council of AZ Sint-Jan Brugge – Oostende AV (1996-1999) and (2005-2008).
- President of the ‘Commission for External Relations’, AZ Sint-Jan Brugge – Oostende AV.
- President of the Advisory Board of ‘AZ Nieuws’ en ‘AZ Link’, Belgium.
- Secretary General of the SOSB (Belgian Section for Obesity Surgery).
- Board Member of the BSUGI (Belgian Section of Upper Gastro-Intestinal Surgery).
- Board Member of the BGES (Belgian Group of Endoscopic Surgeons).
- Board Member of the BSAWS (Belgiam Section for Abdominal Wall Surgery).
- Redaction Member of the RBSS (Royal Belgian Society for Surgeons).
Dr. Jan Paul Mulier
Anesthesiologist Surgeon at St Jan's Hospital, Brugge, Belgium:
- 1995 Postgraduate applied economics KUL
- Ph.D.: Sept 1994, Penn University Pensylvania, Biomedical Research, A. Noordergraaf advisor. Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, biomedische wetenschappen H Van Aken, advisor The ventricular pressure as a function of volume and flow, thesis
- 1990 Vlerick management school Gent
- Specialisation: 1988 Anesthesiology, intensive care and reanimation. 1986 ILT English. 1985 ILT French.
- M.D.: 1984 Katholieke Universiteit Leuven. 1982 KUL Medical information technology. 1981 KUL Electronics for medical use.
Experience / Positions:
- Research Resident: 1987 University of California San Francisco Clinical research with Trans esophageal echocardiography.
- Basic research: 1988 Medtronic, dog research on cardio pulmonary synchronisation
- Co-Founder: 1990 Desitech, inc Minneapolis
- Position: 1990 1994 KUL supervisor cardio anesthesia
- basic research: 1991 CEHA (center for research in surgery and anesthesia) modeling cardiac pump function
- Scientific Advisor: 1990 1993 Baxter Key consultant for Continuous cardiac output
- Co-Founder: 1992 1994 European NO research group founded in Sweden for NO application in anesthesia, intensive care and neonatology
- Position: 1994 KUL adj supervisor brand wonde centrum
- Position: 1994 1995 KUL professor supervisor anesthesia KUL
- Position: 1996 now AZ Sint Jan Brugge Chairmen in the department of anesthesia
- Founder: 1999 IPEC international training for echocardiography
- Research: 2005 Ventilator safety improvements
- Research: 2006 Anesthesia for obesity
Academic Awards / Honors:
- 2005: Best scientific invention PGA New York
- ESA: European Society of Anesthesiology
- ASA: American Society of Anaesthesiology
- STA: Society for Technology in Anesthesia
- Position: 1990 1994 KUL supervisor cardio anesthesia